|MAGNET NEWS |
Online Applications Accepted Nov 1st
Submit your application online any time between November 1 to February 15.
Neighborhood Schools and Enrollment Options Hours:
12pm - 5pm, Mon - Fri
|Magnet Mondays |
Most Magnet Schools have Monday Tours to assist you in choosing your school. Visit Select A School to find out more.
Magnet ProgramsEveryone has a neighborhood school; sometimes families want a choice.
Magnet programs attract students by offering unique opportunities for in-depth studies in specific areas of study while meeting rigorous California state curriculum standards.
Each magnet has a theme embedded in the school curriculum, such as:
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM)
- Music Conservatory
- Communications & Multimedia
- International Baccalaureate
- Language Immersion
- Visual & Performing Arts
- Micro Society
The primary purpose of a magnet is to reduce minority group isolation and to close the achievement gap. San Diego Unified magnet schools have four purposes:
- Diversity as an aspirational goal
- Improved achievement for all students
- Distinctive curriculum or educational approach
- Attract students from outside assigned neighborhood attendance zones
San Diego Unified holds a district membership in Magnet Schools of America (MSA), the leading source for information on public school magnet programs. MSA provides leadership for innovative instructional programs that promote equity, diversity and academic excellence for all students.