Welcome to Spreckels! ¡Bienvenidos a Spreckels!
Hello my name is Claudia McKay and it has been an honor to be Spreckels English Language Support Teacher (ELST) and Magnet Resource Teacher. I have been a teacher for San Diego Unified School District since 1994, I have taught all different grade levels, and have enjoyed being part of the Spreckels family for the past five years. I first came to Spreckels as a 1st grade teacher after spending 3 years as a SDUSD Support Provider/District Resource Teacher for the Intern Program. I absolutely love interacting with the wonderful students, terrific teachers, and fabulous parents here at Spreckels.
Please let me explain a little about what I do around here. The ELST position was designed to accelerate the language and academic development of English Learners as outlined below:
CELDT and other Language Assessment:
- Assist with administration of CELDT, including hand-scoring the CELDT, to obtain results that can be used immediately to inform EL placement and instruction
- Provide assistance with other formative assessments for ELs to monitor progress and inform instruction
Monitoring EL students
EL Parent Support:
- Confer with teachers and administrators about analyzing/using data to monitor EL progress and individualize instruction
- Facilitate reclassification of eligible students
- Monitor progress of reclassified students
- Monitor grades and other data. Collaborate with students and teachers to provide targeted support
- Serve as English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) advisor in order to maintain and sustain a fully functioning and meaningful site. For more information on ELAC, click here.
- Attend monthly DELAC meetings with the site's parent representative(s). For information on DELAC, click here.
- Assist with parent program option information
- Assist with SSTs, IEPs, and other services
- Translate for parent teacher conferences
ELD and Accessing Core Curriculum:
- Assist in developing and supporting targeted instruction and support for upper grade New Arrivals; students who are new to English and new to the country.
- Assist with teacher professional development related to EL student needs
- Assist the principal in supporting teachers and instruction with consultation, modeling, side-by-side coaching, lesson study, grade level planning, and participating in professional learning communities
Student Instructional Intervention and Support:
- Plan and deliver supplemental ELD to targeted students (e.g. New Arrivals, long-term Intermediates, nearly ready to reclassify, targeted grade)
- Push-in and collaborate with classroom teacher for targeted instruction
- Provide tutorial support and/or extended learning opportunities for select ELs
- RtI –Including Tier 2 supplemental instruction and consult with classroom teachers
- Conduct individual student conferences to promote reclassification and academic achievement
Please stop by room 24 or my back room, if you have any questions pertaining to your child's English Language proficiency.
I give school tours of our amazing school on the 1st Monday of each month at 2:00 p.m. If you have not been to Spreckels and are interested in our school, please come visit!
Claudia McKay, Ph.D.