All decisions made at Standley Middle School are centered on academic rigor to support student achievement. Students are required to wear clothes appropriate for school that do not distract other students. School attire (including clothes, hairstyles, cosmetics, and accessories) should protect the health and safety of the students and should not interfere with the educational process. Please be advised that the Dressed to Learn Policy will be strictly enforced and you will be required to change clothes. Please follow these guidelines when choosing your school clothes:
· Wearing gang-related signs and/or insignia, distinctive modes of dress denoting gang affiliation and gang-related behavior is prohibited.
· Student attire should not advertise or advocate the use of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco. This also applies to garments with writing or pictures that are obscene, suggestive, sexual or violent.
· Shoes must be worn at all times. For safety purposes, leather or athletic shoes are recommended. Heels and soles cannot be more than 2” high. No sandals, flip flops, or slippers are allowed. All shoes must cover the student’s toes and heels.
· Half-shirts, crop tops, low necklines, spaghetti straps, tank/tube tops and lace/see-through are inappropriate and should not be worn to school. Short and long sleeved shirts, blouses and tops are acceptable. Clothes must cover the shoulders and midriff area of the body.
· Shorts, skirts, walking shorts, skorts and/or capri pants must be no shorter than 4” above the knees with or without leggings underneath.
· Pajamas are not appropriate for school.
· P.E. clothing is for P.E. only and may not be worn throughout the school day.
· Clothing must fit neatly at the waist without sagging or having an excessively tight fit (this includes leggings worn alone as “pants” and yoga pants). Pants may be loose fitting but not extremely baggy and must have functional pockets in the front and back.
· No holes or rips above the knee.
· Undergarments should not be seen.
· Hoop earrings may be no larger than a quarter.
· No spike plugs, piercings with points.
· Hairstyles, body piercing and tattoos should not be distracting to the learning environment.
· Wallet chains and long belts are not permitted at school.
· Hats, sunglasses, or gloves are not to be worn inside buildings.
CONSEQUENCES FOR NOT FOLLOWING THE POLICY MAY INCLUDE:
1) Immediate change into loaner clothing and student warning (1st offense)
2) Loaner Clothes and parents notified (2nd offense)
3) Loaner Clothes, Referral/Consequence and parent conference scheduled (3rd offense)
4) Loaner Clothes, Referral/Consequence and loss of school privileges (4th offense)
Please Click Here for a PDF printable copy.