Have we got history!
Kit Carson Elementary School was built in 1941 atop an olive grove, among beautiful canyons and hillsides. A clear view to the Pacific Ocean is possible from many homes here. That's why we're named Linda Vista, which means "beautiful view" in Spanish.
The community of Linda Vista was created in 1940 when homes were built to house the families of United States Defense Department workers, and men and women working for General Dynamics and Boeing Aircraft, during the war effort.
The very first shopping center in the United States was built here (on Linda Vista Road, between Comstock and Ulric streets) and dedicated by First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt herself! This shopping center still serves many of our residents.
Since the late 1970's, Linda Vista has drawn immigrants from Southeast Asia seeking asylum from brutal political situations in their home countries. Throughout its history, Linda Vista has grown and diversified. We are currently home to the University of San Diego, Francis Parker School, Bayside Community Center, and the San Diego County Office of Education.
Our community is wonderfully diverse in many ways, and Carson Elementary is very proud to serve the children and families of Linda Vista.
The history of our school name is carved into stone above the front entrances, in an artistic style called bas relief created in 1942. The carvings were created by famous artist Donal Hord, and are important enough to be listed on the San Diego Historical Society register.