About McKinley Elementary School
William McKinley Elementary, Primary Years International Baccalaureate Program, is located in the historic North Park neighborhood. Founded in 1925, our school has a rich heritage and tradition. Generations of families have and continue to attend McKinley and stay involved through our McKinley Alumni. Our many strengths include a friendly neighborhood school, diverse student population, experienced staff, involved parent and surrounding community, and the commitment from all stake holders to continue our reputation as the "Gem of North Park." Student achievement is on the rise each year on the state's academic goals and standards.
McKinley's school culture and academic programs are organized around the philosophy and standards of the International Baccalaureate Programme for the Primary Years
(IB PYP). The state standards are the foundation of our curriculum and organized around the IB guidelines. Students are encouraged to become active, compassionate, and build positive attitudes toward becoming lifelong learners. Our curriculum is interdisciplinary; and inquiry-based that caters to the development of the whole child with the integration of the arts, language (Spanish), music, movement, and technology. Teachers incorporate a global perspective, along with real world application of concepts and skills.
Our Parent-Teacher Committee
supports our academic program by funding a vocal music teacher, art instruction, field trips, assemblies, and many enrichment opportunities for our students. We offer Spanish language instruction for all grades kindergarten through 5th grade. Our Gifted and Talented Education
(GATE) programs are infused with IB elements that bring the real world into the classroom.
- GATE Program, Grades 3-5
- Full time PE Teacher
- Music and Spanish for students in grades K-5
- Computer Lab
- After School Clubs which may include, but not limited to: Chess, Dance, Music, Art, Drama, Computer, Cesar Chavez Service Club, Spanish, and Junior Theatre.
- Before and After School Program through the Copely YMCA
- Extended Day Learning Opportunities
- Ceramic Classes and studio on campus
- Field Trips and Assemblies
- Our wonderful and productive School Garden
- Active Parent and Community Involvement and Support to Create a Supportive Neighborhood School
McKinley Elementary Mission Statement
McKinley Elementary prepares students to become critical thinkers, who are compassionate, lifelong learners, and responsible global citizens to create a more peaceful world.
Fundamental to McKinley is our concern for students, both individually and collectively. We believe that:
- All students have the ability and the need to learn.
- All students have a right to be safe and respected.
- Diversity strengthens our school and should be honored and protected.
- Humanity prospers when people work together.