Middle School

Preparing All Students Academically and Socially for High School and Beyond…

Who do I call if my child is ill?  Call the Attendance Office (24/7) at 619-583-3233 extension 2205 or 2230 (for Spanish) to report your child absent. All absences must be verified by a parent or guardian within 72 hours.
When reporting the absence, please clearly state:
  1. Your child's name
  2. Your relationship to the child
  3. The reason for the absence
  4. The date of the absence
Please note that due to the high volume of calls we receive, we cannot call you back to confirm we have received your message. 
How do I take my child out of school before the school day ends?  We always appreciate you scheduling doctor and dentist visits after school hours and on our minimum days.  When that is not possible, please send your child to the Attendance Office with a note, before school starts in the morning.
Please include in the note:
  1. Reason for the early release
  2. Time of release
  3. Your signature and relationship to the child
  4. A daytime phone number

If you do not send your child to the attendance office with a note in the morning, please be aware that you may have a wait time of up to 20 minutes.

Absence Definitions:
Personal Absences:  A student shall be excused from school for justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to: court appearances, attendance at special religious ceremonies, attendance at religious retreats [not to exceed 4 hours per semester], school-initiated absences, and other family emergencies, provided student's absence is requested in writing by the parent and approved by the principal or designee. 

Week-long Absences:  If you have plans to have your child out of school for 5 school days, you can notify the school in writing, in advance and obtain a contract. Students and parents sign the contract, obtain work in advance from every teacher. As long as all work is completed and turned in within 5 days after student's return, this 5-day absence is excused.
Other absences:  Other absences, not outlined above, although excused by parent, may not be excused by the district and will be recorded as unexcused absences.
Truancy:  Absences not approved by the parent or acceptable to the school, or misrepresentation of facts, or refusal to cooperate to keep student in school as required by law.