|Past Winners |
- 1994 — Saralyn McSorley
- 1995 — Cynthia Roberts, Magdalena Ruvalcaba
- 1996 — Linda Houston
- 1997 — Angela Hernandez
- 1998 — Riva Bugera, Sonia Castillo
- 1999 — Lourdes R. Cervantes
- 2000 — Karen Liberto, Paula Perretta
- 2001 — Rafael Gamboa, Joy Mathiesen
- 2002 — Kimberleigh Kopp, Martha Corrales
- 2003 — Kelli Dancs, Angelia Watkins
- 2004 — Alexandra Kim, Gloria C. Rodriguez
- 2006 — Catalina Calderon, Deborah Harmon
- 2007 — Richard Ojeda, Elisabeth Sriwarodom
- 2008 — Myriah McGlynn, Yolanda Zúniga
- 2009 — Shawneka Thomas, Jillian Margaret Collins
- 2010 — Joseph Murphy, Carlos Elizondo, Charles James, Griselda Hembera
- 2011 – None
- 2012 – Wendy Fransk, Burton Skomal
Board President’s Scholarship
Since 1994, the San Diego Unified School District has presented the Board President’s Scholarship to monthly, classified district employees who are currently enrolled in a college and have a goal of becoming a teacher. California Coast Credit Union and Mission Federal Credit Union support the scholarships with donations of $2,000 each.
The Board President's Scholarship Award is presented annually by the President of the Board of Education to four monthly classified employees interested in becoming a teacher. Each recipient will receive $1,000. Scholarship funds are to be used for tuition, fees or books at any local two- or four-year accredited college or university.
How to Apply
The application period is generally in September-October annually, with the announcement in November. The 2014 application period is Sept. 25-Oct. 27.
In addition to completing the application, applicants must complete an essay on why they should be selected and the recommendation of two district employees who have been their supervisor (teacher or principal, for example).
For more information or with questions, contact the Board of Education office at (619) 725-5550.