It is the student's responsibility to clear absences with teachers and with the Attendance Office. Absences must be cleared within three days. If not, they automatically become unexcused absences. Handwritten notes from the parent or guardian are required to clear all absences. When a student returns to school after an absence, notes must be presented at the Attendance Office.
Parents will be notified of absences with our Autodialer System. The first call is placed on the day of the absence. The second call is a 48-hour notice. After 72 hours, the absence will no longer be cleared and will have to be made up in detention or Saturday School.
The following categories of absence will be applied:
(I) Excused absence due to illness, medical, or dental appointment. This is the only category for which the student can make up missed work. All other absences require the student to obtain a contract independent study form from the Attendance Office.
(E) Excused absence for personal reasons. Citizenship will not be penalized for these reasons. Teachers will provide an opportunity for the student to make up missed work.
(U) Unexcused absence with the knowledge of parents but for reasons not approved by the district. The responsibility for the make-up of missed work, if granted by the teacher, rests entirely with the student.
(Z) Truancy is an absence not approved by the parents or the school. Teachers may require work to be made up but need not grant student requests for permission to make up work. Other penalties may be imposed for truancy and citizenship may be affected. *Absolutely no student is to be off campus without signing out of school at the Attendance Office via a blue slip form.
Excessive Absences Due to Illness:As stated in the district’s Administrative Procedure 6150 and as recommended by the District Medical Consultant, if a student misses any five school days in a four-week period due to illness, a written verification of illness must be provided by a doctor or dentist. If the student has an underlying health condition, the nurse needs to be notified to assist the parent with meeting the student’s needs at school.
Truancy Policy:Leaving school grounds without a blue slip is a truancy which can not be cleared. School initiated absences (i.e. field trips, athletic events, etc.) will be considered excused if approved by the teacher and administration. Medical and dental appointments, except in emergencies, should be made 24 hours in advance and made for after-school hours. The only legal way for a student to leave the school grounds at any time during the school day is to secure a blue off-grounds pass, issued by a school official. Students must bring a note to the office before school or during lunch to obtain a blue slip.
Multiple-period or all-day unexcused absences will result in the assignment of Saturday School by the Attendance Clerk, Dean, or Principal. Students with uncleared absences may not be allowed to participate in specified school activities for the semester in which they occur. There is no Senior Ditch Day.
Students' access to the parking lot is limited to before and after school. The parking lot is off limits at any other time during the school day.
Our school has created a school tardy policy in order to reduce the number of students who are tardy to their classes. Tardiness takes away from the educational process for both the tardy student and the rest of the class due to the disruption that late students cause. This is a school-wide policy. Students may have citizenship grades lowered due to excessive tardiness. Each teacher will provide students with a copy of their expectations and course requirements.
The Attendance Office will not accept parents' excuses for tardiness other than those of a medical or legal reason. Oversleeping, transportation problems, or personal excuses cannot be accepted. Students arriving 30 minutes late for class will be recorded as an unexcused absence and if not cleared, a period truancy will be recorded and Saturday School will be assigned.
The following policy will be in place for the 2013-2014 school year:
• After four tardies are reached in a grading period, the student is assigned Saturday School for the period absence. The citizenship grade will be an automatic "U" for the grading period if more than four tardies occur in the class.
• All truancies will result in Saturday School to make up the period absence. The citizenship grade will be an automatic "U" for the grading period after the second truancy.
• Seniors must clear all absences, tardies and truancies with Saturday School in order to participate in senior activities including but not limited to commencement and prom. Underclassmen who are guests of seniors at the prom must follow the same attendance expectations.
• Students who have more than four un-cleared tardies, two un-cleared truancies and any unexcused period absences and have not cleared these unexcused absences in Saturday School will not be able to participate in any school sponsored activities including but not limited to dances, field trips, assemblies, etc.
• After 10 illness absences the school nurse will be contacted for a consultation and a doctor's note will be required for subsequent absences.
Saturday School:The goal of our Saturday School is to hold students accountable for their attendance. In order to receive credit for attending Saturday School the following conditions must be met:
1. Students must report on time for each day of the assignment.
2. No commitments should stand in the way of student attendance unless cleared by the Attendance Clerk, Dean, or Principal.
3. Parents must notify the school if illness prevented the student from attending Saturday School.
Change of Address
If your last name, street address, telephone number, or parent/guardian changes at any time during the school year, please notify the Attendance Office immediately. This is very important in keeping our records up to date and also to contact a parent or guardian in case of an emergency. By law, it is the responsibility of the parent to maintain accurate information on file at school.