We are fortunate to be conducting the SDUSD JROTC STEM Camp this year at San Diego State University from July 30-August 3, 2013. It is no doubt that JROTC STEM has become a very popular and successful camp that cadets get excited about attending. Each year the number of nominations and quality of applicants increases significantly, so I have prepared the following guidance to assist you in determining your nominees. I have also attached a letter that you can use to inform the parents of your potential nominees and gain their initial approval before formal nominations are submitted to me.
a. Incoming seniors that have not attended STEM in prior years.
b. Incoming juniors that meet cadet eligibility.
c. Incoming seniors that attend last year’s STEM Camp
2. For a cadet to be considered, you must submit the following complete packet:
a. Signed Parent letter (enclosed)
b. STEM Student nomination Form (attached)
c. JROTC Instructor letter of recommendation
d. Math/Science teacher letter of recommendation
3. In addition, all cadets must meet the following Cadet Eligibility:
· 3.25 or higher academic cumulative GPA
· Strong interest in pursuing BS degree in STEM major
· B or higher in science and math (check transcripts)
· Incoming Junior or Senior in SY '13-'14 (priority to Seniors 2014)
· Enrolled in JROTC in SY '13-'14
· Recommended by Math/Science Teacher
· Must complete the entire week and stay in dorms at SDSU
Please note that based on the comments from last year's attendees and inquires from cadets throughout this year, I anticipate a huge interest on the STEM Camp and selection will be very competitive. Last year all attending cadets had above a 3.4 GPA with twenty-seven cadets above a 4.0 GPA. Due to the number of selectees, we do not conduct a interview board so your letters are critical. Please ensure that your packets are complete give all applications directly to COL Swann NLT April 26, 2013.
Selections will be announced NLT May 3, 2013. Please contact COL Swann if you have any questions.