Volunteers are an important part of the Gage community. We welcome all adults to volunteer in supporting the educational program at Gage. Carol Schroder, our volunteer coordinator, is located in the front office and is happy to assist you in becoming a volunteer.
Volunteers are needed in many areas including:
• Classroom volunteers: All adults are welcome to come and to share their talents with students. Classroom volunteers assist with various projects including reading with students, supporting small groups of students as they develop a deeper content understanding and assisting the teacher with classroom projects. Please make arrangements with your child's teacher in advance.
• Parent Teacher Association (PTA): All parents are encouraged to join the Parent/Teacher Association to make a positive contribution to Gage and to stay informed about the programs and events occurring. The PTA assists with school fundraisers, academic programs, field trips, parent workshops, and other events. You can contact the PTA at their web site: http://proudgagegators.org/ or e-mail the PTA President, Amanda Kop, at email@example.com . Everyone is welcome at the PTA Board Meetings which are usually held on the 2nd Thursday of the month in room B-11 on the Gage campus from 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
• Governance Team: The Governance Team is a collaborative group made up of the administration, teachers, support staff, classified staff, and parents. Its purpose is to consider recommendations and make decisions with respect to developing, reviewing, and monitoring long-range goals and plans that deal with curriculum, instruction, student achievement, school and community relations, and organizational issues. The Governance Team meets monthly and meetings are open to everyone. Minutes and agendas are posted in the administrative office display cabinet on the front of the school.
• School Site Council (SSC): Three teachers, one classified staff member, five parents, and the principal serve on the School Site Council (SSC) to assist in setting school goals. They monitor the School Improvement Program and budget for the current school year. Parents are nominated yearly to serve a two-year term. The SSC meets monthly concurrently with the SCPT and meetings are open to everyone. Minutes and agendas are posted on the web site and in the administrative office display cabinet on the front of the school.
• 5th Grade Boosters: The 5th Grade Boosters committee is comprised of parents and family members of students in the various 5th grade classrooms. The goal of this committee is to raise funds for and to organize the 5th grade activities celebrating promotion from Gage Elementary School. For further information or to get involved, contact the school office.
• Partners in Education: Community businesses enhance our instructional program through the donation of time, goods, money, support, and services. We are fortunate to have as our partners, California Coast Credit Union, La Mesa branch, Wendy’s on Lake Murray Blvd., and the San Diego Public Library, San Carlos branch.
Campus Garden and Beautification: Gage has several gardens located around the campus that are used to teach children about plants and nature. If you have a green thumb and would like to help out in this area, please let us know.