|Chess has always been regarded as a scientific game. Here at Kimbrough we think it is also fun! It provides a space for students to develop skills that will help them throughout their education and beyond. There have been many studies on the benefits of a systematic study of chess in young students. Some of these benefits are the following: |
- Significant advancement in spatial, numerical, and directional abilities.
- Advancement in verbal aptitudes.
- Improvement in regular school and standardized testing.
- Gains in math problem-solving and reading.
- Students learn to organize, pay attention to detail, and plan ahead.
- Improves memory and increases fantasy and imagination.
- Students learn to interact better with peers.
- Motivates students to excel.
Our chess club meets every Monday after school for one hour. We have about 20 enthusiastic students from third to fifth grade. Student progress in chess occurs through learning from each other with instructor guidance.
Some of the topics that are presented in the program are the following:
- Chess openings
- Middle game strategy
- End game play
- Common checkmates
Chess tournaments are held every ten weeks and outstanding students are encouraged to participate in scholastic tournaments at the city level. For further information contact Hector Gonzalez at 525-2010, ext. 4113