· Enjoy reading? Want to keep up your reading/thinking skills over the summer? Consider joining the FREE Wangenheim Summer Book Club to read and discuss a novel with your peers and one of our English teachers. The club will run from July 21st to August 21st. Registration directions will soon be posted on the Wangenheim website under the student tab. We have a limited number of books that can be checked out at the library starting June 11th. Book titles are: The Only Ones, Son Boys Without Names, Keeping Corner, Paper Towns, and Inside Out and Back Again. (Zelman)
· NJHS will meet in room 605 on Tuesday right after school. This is our induction meeting! Welcome, New Members! (Reilly)
· Wednesday, June 11, is Field Day. All PE classes will be on the field participating in various activities. At the end of the period, students will empty their PE basket/locker and take everything home as that will be the last day to suit up. If 8th grade students would like to donate their PE uniforms to be used as loaners next year, there will be boxes in the locker rooms to place such items. (Powers)
· For 6th and 7th grade: Yearbook distribution is on June 10th (Tuesday) during both lunches and after school at the Media Center (Library). Bring only pens for signing. Yearbooks will remain on sale based on availability until the last day of school. (Yearbook)
· The last day to use the Locker Bay will be Wednesday, June 11. All items must be emptied out by 2:25 on June 11. The Locker Bay will remain locked all day on Thursday and Friday. (Mr. Uhuru).
· All Sharpies and other permanent markers will be confiscated and not returned. Do not bring them to school. (Mr. Uhuru)
· The results for the 24 Challenge School-Wide Competition for 6th grade – 1st place, Kwan Bender, 2nd place Florence Ye, 3rd place Jhonos Fernandez. 7th grade winners were; 1st was Amanda Quach, 2nd was Timothy Holmes, 3rd was Christopher Diep. For the 8th graders the results were, 1st place went to Evans Lan, 2nd was Dylan Nguyen and 3rd place was Brad Harris-Avery. Thanks to everybody that participated. Great job!!! (Rothstein)
· The Library is now closed except for book returns. This includes lunchtime.
· NJHS Meeting on Tuesday, right after school, room 605. This includes invited and interested 7th grade students. (Reilly)
· All students need to be in the lunch area prior to the bell otherwise you will receive lunch detention. (Ashton)
· Circle of Friends club members, please report to the library during your lunch on Tuesday, 5/27. The library will be closed to all other students during both lunches on 5/27. (Wise)
· Third annual Mira Mesa Middle Schools Track and Field Challenge: Challenger vs. Wangenheim at Mira Mesa High School Stadium on June 5th from 3:00 – 5:00 p.m. There are many events that you can enter (relays, sprints, mile run, hurdles, long jump) and it is free. There are awards for top finishers and a trophy goes to the winning school! If you are interested in entering the meet, please see your PE teacher for more information and the necessary form. (Powers)
· Students will be returning their textbooks through their English classes. June 3 - 8th grade, June 4 - 7th grade, and June 6 - 6th grade. Also, make sure all library fines have been cleared so that you can pick up your yearbook at the assigned time.
· Congratulations to Edgardo Jimenez, John Narciso, Rafael Ronquillo, Rafael Castillejo, Ellijah Terre for their effort and improvement. They will be taken out to lunch by Dr. Fallon.
· Wangenheim Middle School Will be hosting the San Diego Summer Open 2014 Rubik’s Cube Competition on Saturday, May 24th in the Activity Room. If you are interested in competing, please register online at http://ca.cubingusa.com/SanDiegoSummerSplash2014/index.php.
· This is the last week of Swim Club: Monday, 5/19 and Friday, 5/23. The pool closes briefly after Memorial Day weekend to prepare for their summer season. (Reilly)
· Come and support the WMS Drama Department in their production of Honk Jr. (the story of the ugly duckling) on Wednesday, May 21, at 2:30. Tickets are $2.00 at the door. There will be an evening show on Thursday, May 22, at 7:00 p.m. Wangenheim students and children under 10, $2.00 and adults $5.00. (Brown)
· Don’t forget, Friday, May 9th of this week is the PTSA Spring Carnival. It runs from 5:00 to 8:00 and you don’t want to miss it. Challenge a bungee cord, climb a rock wall, ride a mechanical bull, play laser tag, stick to a Velcro wall. All of this and more fun for the small price of $10.00, if you buy your ticket by Today, May 5th. Come see Ms. Waldman in room 604 today to buy your ticket or buy online at Wangenheimptsa.com . Or you can just pay $12.00 at the gate on Friday. You won’t find a better price for a night of fun. Hope to see you there! (Waldman)
· Stop by the Library to see which stage the Painted Lady Butterflies are in. (Simpson)
· Congratulations to the following students for their effort and improvement in academics, citizenship, or attendance: Joseph Mora Brambila, James Knight, Matthew Le, Gisselle Selvy-Medina, and Nathaniel Jefferys. They will be taken out to lunch by the principal.
· Stop by the Library to see which stage the Painted Lady Butterflies are in. (Simpson)
· Swim Club: Monday, 4/21, and Friday, 4/25. Friday’s swimming won’t start until 3:00 p.m. We will walk through the park on our way to the pool. We will return by 4:30 p.m. (On Friday only.)
· Yearbooks are still on sale for $40. Hurry and don’t miss out, especially if you are an 8th grader. This year’s yearbook is dedicated to you! Please see Mrs. Henson at the financial office to order. Yearbook Guy
· NJHS members, mark your planners. We are having a lunch time meeting Tuesday April 22nd during 2nd lunch in Mrs. Slezak’s room. On the agenda is an explanation of officer duties. The following week on April 29th at our after school meeting students who wish to run for office should come prepared with a short speech on why they should be elected. Officer elections will be immediately following the speeches. (Waldman)
· The English department is excited to announce our fourth annual Open Mic Poetry Night. Come celebrate poetry and enjoy the company of your teachers and classmates at Mira Mesa Barnes and Noble on Thursday, April 24th from 5-7 p.m. Sixth graders are encouraged to come 5 – 5:40; seventh graders 5:40 – 6:20 p.m. and eight graders 6:20 – 7 p.m. You can earn extra credit in English class in two different ways: reading your poem(s) and reciting from memory your poem(s) in front of an audience. Please consider purchasing a book/game/café item as the proceeds will benefit Wangenheim. Be sure to sign up to read/recite! (Slezak)
· It’s that time of the year again! PTSA Spring Carnival is Friday, May 9th from 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. and you don’t want to miss it. Challenge a bungee cord, climb a rock wall, ride a mechanical bull, play laser tag, stick to a Velcro wall. All of this and more fun for the small price of $10.00, if you buy your ticket by Monday, May 5th or $12.00 at the gate the day of. You won’t find a better price for night of fun. You can find information about buying tickets in advance online at www.WangenheimPTSA.org or the flier that went home. Lost your flier? Extra copies are in the office or see Ms. Waldman for another one. Hope to see you there! (Waldman)
· Attention! Attention! 7th Grade Future Travelers.......There will be an informational meeting on April 29th at 6:00 p.m. in the library for next year's PTSA East Coast Trip. The hour-long meeting will be held in the library. In the next few weeks, you will receive information about this exciting trip from 8th graders who just returned. There will also be flyers handed out a week prior to the meeting to remind you and your parents about the event. (Grendziak)
· Congratulations to Rem Talde and Evans Lan for successfully auditioning for the CMEA-SBS Honor Middle School String Orchestra. They were two of only 18 students in the county selected for this premier ensemble. Way to go! (Brown)
· The March Madness results: 238 individual participants and 78 book winners
o Class party winners:
§ 6th grade, Ms. Reilly period 5-6
§ 7th grade, Mrs. Johnston period 5
§ 8th grade, Ms. Waldman period 2
· We had 6 first place winners in this year’s science fair competition, compared to 1 last year. They are: Edward Chhit, Megan Bowers, Kat Yuen, Tori Takeshita, Elizabeth Gonzalez, and Davis Boring.
Three students (Davis, Elizabeth, and Tori) were invited to compete in the state competition on April 28-29. (Grendziak)
· Congratulations to our Young Scholars Academic League. They competed at Scripps Ranch High School on Saturday, March 22. Wangenheim participants practiced twice a week all year in order to prepare for this competition. League members are Edward Chhit, Timothy Holmes, Adeleidia Alcantara, Megan Nguyen, Rem Talde, Evans Lan, Eric Umipig, David Webber, and Janice Buenafe.
· Congratulations to the Wangenheim MS Choral department. Both Beginning and Concert Choirs won a Superior rating at their Choral Festival on March 26! Good luck to the Orchestras and Bands who will participate in their adjudicated festivals this Friday and Saturday. Way to go Music Department! (Brown)