ARMY JUNIOR RESERVE OFFICERS TRAINING CORPS (AJROTC)
1. INTRODUCTION. Welcome to the Komet Battalion AJROTC program!
The goal of
We do this while simultaneously developing each cadet’s leadership potential and character. The AJROTC program combines classroom instruction, physical fitness, and integrated curricular activities focused on attaining an awareness of the rights, responsibilities, and privileges of citizenship; developing the cadet’s sense of personal responsibility; promoting wellness and physical fitness; building life skills; and providing leadership opportunities. Our website is www.kearnyjrotc.com.
2. CURRICULUM. Course content includes Character and Leadership Development; Wellness, Physical Fitness and First Aid; Drill and Ceremonies; Geography; Citizenship and American History; Career Opportunities; Technology Awareness; Command and Staff Procedures; Consumer Education and Financial Management. The curriculum also incorporates reading skills and strategies (book reviews, weekly class readings, essays, etc.).
3. UNIFORMS. Cadets are issued an AJROTC uniform (shirt, pants, footwear, headgear, socks, belt, and earned cadet decorations and awards) and PT shirt at no cost on a loan basis. Cadets are responsible for the condition of these items and for the proper return of all items at the end of the school year or when they leave the AJROTC program. Students are responsible to pay for damaged or lost items. A white t-shirt is provided by the student/parent is required to wear under the issued uniform shirt. Cadets are required to wear the uniform one day each week (normally on Monday, with make-up for an absence on Tuesday). Wear of the uniform in accordance with Department of the Army standards (to include hair length and grooming standards) is mandatory. Participation in after-school or off-campus activity may require the wearing of the uniform. On uniform day, cadets will wear the uniform throughout the entire school day, to include to and from school, unless specifically excused by one of the instructors. Cadets are responsible for the proper wear and maintenance of their issued uniform. On physical fitness days (normally Wednesday and Friday) cadets must suit-up for physical training (PT) in their Cadet PT-Shirt (provided at no cost), and student supplied PE shorts or sweatpants and tennis/athletic shoes. Proper wear of the Cadet Uniform and “suiting-up” for PE and participating is a major portion of the grade in this class.
4. INTEGRATED CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES. The AJROTC program provides cadets opportunities to participate in numerous before/after school and weekend activities. These include but are not limited to Community Support Volunteer Events, Honor Guard, Drill Teams, Color Guard, and Physical Fitness Team. All cadets are encouraged to participate in our Physical Fitness Program before school from 0740-0830 each morning and our after school team practice and events from 1530-1630.
Academically, cadets must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA for the current quarter and have parent/guardian permission in order to participate in integrated curricular activities.
5. GRADES. Grades are determined by a combination of practical/hands-on performance, written examinations, wearing of the uniform, suiting up for physical training and participation.
We encourage parents to contact their school counseling office to obtain a Parent Connect account in order to check the progress of their students and to check our website at www.kearnyjrotc.com. Our goal is to record all assignments in Zangle daily so parents and students can check their grades and coursework.
6. SCHEDULE. The normal weekly schedule for AJROTC is:
The only additional mandatory event outside of school hours is the Brigade Review (Field Day) on Saturday, May 18, 2013 from 07:00 am to approx 12:00 pm.. Cadets are required to attend in uniform. The cadets report to
7. LESSON PLANS. A Weekly Training Schedule produced by the Cadet Battalion S-3 will be posted in the AJROTC classrooms and on the website for cadet use. Cadets are responsible for being prepared for class, checking the website and making-up any work missed due to absence from a scheduled class.
8. CADET LEADERSHIP POSITIONS/PROMOTIONS. Cadets must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 for the current academic quarter in order to be considered for promotion or to be selected for (or stay in) any leadership position.
9. STANDING OPERATING PROCEEDURES (SOP). The Komet Battalion AJROTC SOP will be reviewed with all cadets at the beginning of and throughout each school year.
10. INSTRUCTORS. Please contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Email is the best form of initial contact and then we can arrange a time for telephone or in person meetings.
For a printable copy of this syllabus, please click ---> SYLLABUS