ARMY JUNIOR RESERVE OFFICERS TRAINING CORPS(AJROTC)
1. INTRODUCTION. Welcome to the Komet Battalion AJROTC program!
The goal of
We do this while simultaneouslydeveloping each cadet’s leadership potential and character. The AJROTC programcombines classroom instruction, physical fitness, and integrated curricularactivities focused on attaining an awareness of the rights, responsibilities,and privileges of citizenship; developing the cadet’s sense of personalresponsibility; promoting wellness and physical fitness; building life skills;and providing leadership opportunities. Our website is www.kearnyjrotc.com.
2. CURRICULUM. Coursecontent includes Character and Leadership Development; Wellness, PhysicalFitness and First Aid; Drill and Ceremonies; Geography; Citizenship andAmerican History; Career Opportunities; Technology Awareness; Command and StaffProcedures; Consumer Education and Financial Management. The curriculum alsoincorporates reading skills and strategies (book reviews, weekly classreadings, essays, etc.).
3. UNIFORMS. Cadetsare issued an AJROTC uniform (shirt, pants, footwear, headgear, socks, belt,and earned cadet decorations and awards) at no cost on a loan basis. Cadets areresponsible for the condition of these items and for the proper return of allitems at the end of the school year or when they leave the AJROTC program.Students are responsible to pay for damaged or lost items. A white t-shirt providedby the student/parent is required to wear under the issued uniform shirt. Cadetsare required to wear the uniform one day each week (normally on Monday, withmake-up for an absence on Tuesday). Wear of the uniform in accordance withDepartment of the Army standards (to include hair length and groomingstandards) is mandatory. Participation in after-school or off-campus activitymay require the wearing of the uniform. Onuniform day, cadets will wear the uniform throughout the entire school day, toinclude to and from school, unless specifically excused by one of theinstructors. Cadets are responsible for the proper wear andmaintenance of their issued uniform. On physical fitness days (normallyWednesday and Friday) cadets must suit-up for physical training (PT) in their studentsupplied PE shirt, shorts or sweatpants and tennis/athletic shoes. Proper wear of the Cadet Uniform and “suiting-up”for PE and participating is a major portion of the grade in this class.
4. INTEGRATEDCURRICULAR ACTIVITIES. The AJROTC program provides cadets opportunities toparticipate in numerous before/after school and weekend activities. Theseinclude but are not limited to Community Support Volunteer Events, Honor Guard,Drill Teams, Color Guard, and Physical Fitness Team. All cadets are encouragedto participate in our Physical Fitness Program before school from 0740-0830each morning and our after school team practice and events from 1530-1630.
Academically, cadets must maintain an overall 2.0 GPA forthe current quarter in order to participate in integrated curricularactivities.
5. GRADES. Gradesare determined by a combination of practical/hands-on performance, writtenexaminations, wearing of the uniform, suiting up for physical training andparticipation.
We encourage parents to contact their school counselingoffice to obtain a Parent Connect account in order to check the progress oftheir students and to check our website at www.kearnyjrotc.com.Our goal is to record all assignments in Zangle daily so parents and studentscan check their grades and coursework.
6. SCHEDULE. Thenormal weekly schedule for AJROTC is:
The only additionalmandatory event outside of school hours is the Brigade Review (Field Day)on Saturday, May 17, 2014 from 07:00 am to approx 12:00 pm.. Cadets arerequired to attend in uniform. The cadets report to
The Cadet Picnic will be held on Saturday October 12, 2013.This is an optional event which costs approx $15.00 which includes thestudent’s lunch and a t-shirt. Another optional social event available forcadets to attend is the Formal Cadet Ball held at the Town and Country Hotel,Saturday, March 22, 2014. The projected cost for this event is approx $45.00.Cadets must have a “C” or above in JROTC and a GPA of 2.0 to attend.
7. LESSON PLANS.A Weekly Training Schedule produced by the Cadet Battalion S-3 will be postedin the AJROTC classrooms and on the website for cadet use. Cadets areresponsible for being prepared for class, checking the website and making-upany work missed due to absence from a scheduled class.
8. CADET LEADERSHIPPOSITIONS/PROMOTIONS. Cadets must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 for thecurrent academic quarter in order to be considered for promotion or to beselected for (or stay in) any leadership position.
9. STANDING OPERATINGPROCEEDURES (SOP). The Komet Battalion AJROTC SOP will be reviewed with allcadets at the beginning of and throughout each school year.
10. INSTRUCTORS. Pleasecontact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Email is the best formof initial contact and then we can arrange a time for telephone or in personmeetings.
For a printable copy of this syllabus, please click ---> SYLLABUS