Behavior on the Grass Field
The grass field will be a positive, safe and civil area where students and staff will interact with courtesy and respect while students engage in joyful play.
Expectations for Student Behavior:
- Students will walk in a single-file line with the lunch duty supervisors to the gate by Room 20.
- 3rd-5th Grade students will wait in line patiently at the gate for the younger students to clear the field before entering.
- Students will remain on the grass field, within the near fence along Grand Avenue.
- Students will ask a supervisor to use the restrooms or get a drink by Room 20. Passes are required to leave the grass field for any other reason.
- On hot days, students may ask a supervisor for permission to sit along the wall by Room 20.
- Appropriate games for the grass field include: hula hoops, football, Frisbee, kickball, two-finger tag, and soccer.
- If playing soccer, the 3rd graders will use the goal by the far fence while the 4th and 5th graders will use the goal by the gate.
- Students will avoid the port-a-potties and stay in front of the dugouts.
- Students will not talk to strangers on the other side of the fence.
- Students will respect each others’ personal space and avoid games involving pushing or wrestling.
- Students will avoid mud, puddles, holes, and wildlife.
- When the whistle is blown 3 times for the 5 minute warning, students will go to the bathroom or get a drink if they haven’t done so already. There will be no drinks or bathroom after the bell.
- When the bell rings to signal the end of recess, students will:
- “Stop and drop” (stop playing and kneel on the ground)
- When the whistle blows:
- Replace equipment by carrying it to the cage
- K-3rd - Exit the field by the gate near Room 26 and then walk to the blacktop
- 4th-5th – Line up at the gate by Room 20 by class
- Rm 24 on the north side
- Rm 23 on the south side
- Students will be respectful toward peers and adults by using kind and polite language.
- If any adult asks a student to correct a behavior while moving on campus, the student will respond respectfully and correct the behavior as requested.
- If a student hurts another student by accident, the students will apologize for his/her actions by looking at the individual and kindly saying he/she is sorry.
- Students will bring any found objects to a supervisor.
- Students will immediately report any safety concerns or injuries to an adult on supervision and not try to move seriously injured students.