Students here march to their own beat — because they have their own drum corps! Here at Porter we are very fortunate to have so many great school partners that work with and read to our students through-out the year. We have Family Fridays where we have large numbers of parents come to school to join their child in their classroom to read fun and entertaining books with them. We are committed in making our parent and community participation stronger.
Porter offers great cultural diversity and the energy that our student body bring to school contribute to the success we've had advancing their English language skills.
We offer strong academics delivered by well-trained teachers, including a technology teacher, to build a firm educational foundation for students. Our staff provides support every step of the way, with regular recognition and awards for students, to reinforce their hard work and achievements at every level. Students love getting on "The Principal's List," our honor roll, because academics are cool at Porter School. We live up to our slogan:
Porter's students, staff and parents are Committed to Excellence.
Voting for Donor Nation’s School Volunteer of the Year is now OPEN! Genel Wynn is nominated for her outstanding community service at Walter J. Porter Elementary School. To show your support for Genel, please be sure to vote here: http://www.donornation.org/award/nominee/?id=137797233 and encourage your school community to cast their online vote now through April 24th, 2014.
There are 12 Quality School Indicators that the San Diego Unified School District has identified for supporting in creating Quality Schools in Every Neighborhood. Today, we just want to highlight Qualities 3,4,and 5 and solicit your support in helping us in ensuring that Porter becomes and maintain the status of a High Quality Neighborhood School. English LetterSpanish Letter
If you are a family in need of help with feeding your family click on the link under Quicklinks called, "Porter Panther Pantry" to find out more about it.
Neighborhood Free Computer Training classes are available at the Career Center located at Imperial Ave. in the connected lot of Home Depot.
is starting up homework assisstance.
Jackie Robinson Family YMCA has several upcoming activities. Click on their web page at http://www.facebook.com/JackieRobinsonFamilyYMCA You can also download any of the following flyers to find out about all the great activities they are offering. Winter swim Lessons Youth winter 2013 Leagues Cesar Chavez Camp
Family Fridays (Focus on Supporting your child's academics)
- October 4th-South Auditorium Get Organized for Homework: Problem Solving and Maximizing Student's Time
- October 11th-North Auditorium Get Organized for Homework: Problem Solving and Maximizing Student's Time
- November 1st-South Auditorium Reading Strategies for Non-Fiction Kinder and First
- November 8th-North Auditorium Reading Strategies for Non-Fiction 2nd-5th grade
- December 6th-South Auditorium Common Core With Focus of Literacy Kinder and First
- December 13th-North Auditorium Common Core with Focus on Literacy2nd-5th
- February 7th--South parents in classrooms--no parent classes February 14th-No School
- March 7th-South Auditorium Common Core with focus on Mathematics Kinder and First
- March 14th-North Auditorium Common Core with focus on Mathematics2nd-5th
- May 2nd-South Auditorium Keys to Reading: Word Families
- May 9th- North Auditorium Passport to Success: Note-taking and Homework strategies
- June 6th-South Auditorium Positive Discipline (birth to first)
- June 13-North Auditorium Positive Discipline (2nd-5th grade)